Fibre Optic Network Infrastructure Transformation, Strategy & Architecture
Problem Statement - One of the largest European Telco operators in partnership with a blue-chip Telco vendors embarked on a very visionary idea to develop a ‘Pan-European’ Fire-Optic Core Network estimated Capex cost USD$ 15 billion. This was to be a ‘Greenfield’ major Network Infrastructure build Programme across 37-European cities. This organisation had contracted-out the Infrastructure Build, Systems Integration& Transformation programme of work to more than Ten (10) major Systems Integrators & Vendors.
Unfortunately, the Build & Transformation Programme had run into serious difficulties and was running significantly behind schedule. In fact, less than 10% of the programme had been completed over Eighteen (24) months and it was planned & contracted to be completed in Forty-eight (48) months. Our conclusion was that this programme required a comprehensive Recovery & Turnaround to meet the original objectives.
This main Telco Organisation engaged us to perform a Recovery & Turnaround, develop & implement its ‘Network Build & Transformation Strategy’ and Planning & Execution. We conducted a full review of the Client’s business requirements, people skills & capabilities, operating models & processes, applications, systems, infrastructure, networks, security, and data centre.
We performed a successful Recovery & Turnaround, identified opportunities for improvement, designed a programme of work to underpin the rollout & delivery, organisational structure, people skills & capabilities. We carefully conducted a comprehensive “Strategy Review & Audit” and made recommendations for improvements. Our Specific responsibilities & activities, included (this is just a short summary):
We identified opportunities for improvement, designed a programme of work to underpin the rollout & delivery, organisational structure, people skills & capabilities. We carefully conducted a
comprehensive “Strategy Review & Audit” and made recommendations for improvements. Our Specific responsibilities & activities, included (this is just a short summary):
- Definition & execution of Network Build & Transformation Strategy ‘Vision Strategy & Roadmap’,aligning technology with the Client business needs.
- Effectively performed a 360-degree strategic reviews, presenting recommendations at up to CxO level,and setup the agreed programme for successes e.g. People, Processes, Systems/Tools.
- Developed Core Network Transformation & Data Centre Transformation Strategies.
- Lead the discovery, definition of requirements, cloud-based architecture & design, systems integration and data centres.
- Carried out comprehensive programme/portfolio reviews, Costs, governance/management, and PMO processes, target design/setup.
- Coordinated/managed Tier-1 Vendor/SI commercials/Pricing contractual deliverables with Alcatel, Logica, KPMG, Accenture, Cap Gemini, Ericsson, Nokia, Cisco, Corning & Pirelli, etc
- Managed Vendor Contractual delivery assurance to agreed Governance, Price & Milestones and managed scope-creeps.
- Tracked multi-vendor delivery progress and reported at C-Level Exec Board and Executive Stakeholders
Successfully delivered £800m+ transformation portfolio. Reviewed & redesigned / restructured People/Organisations, Strategy, Processes, Products/Services, negotiated Outsourcing contracts, and saved £100m plus in direct costs, and added £50m+ in additional revenue generating business-value.